Drill Calibration Calculator
Steps for Drill Calibration
- Raise drill off ground (block it for safety).
- Measure circumference of drive wheel and determine drill width (Use Mfr width). Enter values into the calculator.
- Place tarp under drill to catch any spilled seed.
- Check each seed tube for obstructions to ensure proper seed flow.
- Add a small amount of seed to the seed box, and turn the drive wheel until seed is dropping from each seed tube.
- Pull the ends of the seed tubes from the row openers, and put the ends in buckets to catch seed. Four buckets are usually sufficient to catch seed from all drill tubes.
- Mark a reference point on the drive wheel with tape or chalk, and turn the wheel the number of rounds shown in the calculator.
- Collect the seed in buckets while turning the drive wheel.
- When the drive wheel has been turned the proper number of turns, combine the seed from each bucket and weigh the seed.
- Enter the seed weight into the calculator to determine drill's seeding rate.
Step 1. Calculate the number of turns of the drivewheel needed
Step 2. Catch seed from all tubes for number of turns of the drivewheel
Number of turns of the drivewheel needed
Seeding rate per acre at this setting (lbs/acre)
If seed is not caught from all tubes (e.g 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2), remember to multiply the seed weight by the appropriate value before entering seeding weight.
This application was developed by the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service (CES) to assist public users. This application uses data derived from other sources and does not guarantee the accuracy of that data. Sale of this application or use of it for purposes other than its intended use is strictly prohibited. Information put forth by this application is intended to be used in conjunction with close consultation with the appropriate Extension professional. The CES is not liable for damages resulting from recommendations made by this application and is not a substitute for prudent judgment. Information and calculated values provided through this application may not consider all possible details available for a given situation and should only be used as a guide. CES does not warrant or guarantee the performance of this application nor the service offered. User’s utilize this information at their own risk.